ChargeOfQuarters

Vote Republican. Cling to your God and Guns.

21 July 2006

Berlin, the Trip - Part 2 - the Drive

So, here we are driving in East Germany, and the difference is amazing. Most cars are Trabants or Wartburgs, and my car (a 1989 VW Golf, with American Specs), could outrun them in 3rd gear. So we are putting along, with the traffic, and every 5 miles or so was a huge tower along the highway to monitor whatever; I was never really sure.

After about 1 hour and 45 minutes we began seeing the signs for our exits. We took them and eventually made our way to what I think was called Marienborn. As we were approaching the border traffic was beginning to really pile up. After a few minutes a lane opened up that said, "US FORCES ONLY". So we got in that lane and sped up to the border area. Once at the Soviet Checkpoint we had to stop again. There the whole process started all over again, but was much quicker. We went on our way and went right into the Checkpoint Bravo area. Once at Bravo the American MPs (this checkpoint housed all of the Allied Forces) logged the time you arrived (to make sure you didn't speed) and asked if I noticed any significant military activity. Actually, I had: there was aa Army convoy that was parked on the side of the autobahn heading toward the border. There were 21 large trucks similar to US Army 5-ton trucks with large amounts of East German soldiers and other equipment that I had noticed. I informed the MPs of this fact and they asked me of anything else and I told them no. They thanked me, logged the Intelligence Coup of the Century that I told them about, and let me go on my way.

Once back in the car, we began our drive into West Berlin. Right out of the parking lot was a sign that said "Downtown Berlin", or something like that. Whatever, we knew that was where we wanted to go.

I drove right by it, like a dumbass...

Now we were in West Berlin, with no map, and beginning to get lost. A great start...

For more information about the Allied Checkpoints, go here.... Pretty good and comprehensive information... some good pics and maps too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home